Fredericksburg Academy, the leading independent school in Fredericksburg region is seeking a full-time Middle School math teacher beginning in the 2023-2024 school year. Candidates should have a passion for supporting students to reach their full potential as students and citizens, a demonstrated desire for professional growth and a willingness to participate fully in the life of the school. Fredericksburg Academy provides students with the opportunity to discover who they are in a nurturing, safe environment while becoming independent learners within our challenging college-prep curriculum. We are seeking candidates who are comfortable teaching the foundational level math classes at the Middle School level through Algebra I. Fredericksburg Academy is a bring-your-own-device school—a high level of technological proficiency and demonstrated use of technology within the learning environment is preferred. Additional responsibilities include serving as an advisor to approximately 8 to 10 students. Seeking candidates who would be involved in supporting co-curricular activities (preferably through coaching one of our athletic teams at the MS or Varsity level or sponsoring/leading our Yearbook class).
Expectations and Requirements
● Uses appropriate and varied teaching techniques
● Prepare course objectives and follow the school’s curriculum
● Demonstrate a passion for working with Middle and Upper School students and an understanding of their unique development at each of these levels
● Display enthusiasm for teaching and professional growth
● Serve as a member of the Math department; attend meetings and support the work of the department
● Foster positive communication among parents, advisors, colleagues, and students
● Willingness to collaborate within and across departments
● Sense of humor and flexibility
● Supports the school and its mission
● Strong, timely, and effective communication (both written and oral) with students/parents/colleagues/administrators
● Bachelor’s degree in English, education, or similar field
● 1-3 years’ experience working in school setting
● Ability to collaborate with faculty, staff, administration, and parents
● Proficient in organizing work, maintaining records, managing time, attention to detail, follow through, and setting priorities
● A positive and welcoming attitude, flexibility, and a sense of humor
Position Type: Faculty
Contract: Full-time, 10-month teacher contract
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of 3-5 professional references to email@example.com
Additional Salary Information: Benefits include 75% medical coverage for individuals (multi-person plans provided for at varying levels of support). Dental, vision, and other insurance options available. TIAA retirement contribution, tuition remission, before and after school care, and 125 Plan are also available.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of 3-5 references to:
David Fischer, Head of Middle School
10800 Academy Drive
Fredericksburg, VA 22408
About Fredericksburg Academy
Fredericksburg Academy Mission & Overview:
Mission: We inspire and empower our students to discover, to engage, and to imagine the limitless nature of themselves and the world.
Overview: Fredericksburg Academy (FA), located halfway between Richmond, VA and Washington, D.C., provides a rigorous, college-preparatory education in a nurturing environment to 410 students in prekindergarten through twelfth grade. Hallmarks of the Academy experience are individualized attention, unique opportunities outside of the classroom, and small class sizes. Founded in 1992, the Academy challenges each student to achieve academic excellence, to think critically and independently, to communicate effectively, and to act honorably. Our close-knit, supportive community of teachers, administrators, students and parents is welcoming and engaging.