Fredericksburg Academy, the leading independent school in Fredericksburg, is seeking a full-time Middle School English teacher starting with the 2023-2024 school year. Candidates will demonstrate expertise and teaching experience in writing and literature in grades 6-7. Additional responsibilities include serving as an advisor and assisting with student activities, as well as participating in English Department meetings and contributing to English Department projects and initiatives. Fredericksburg Academy seeks teacher candidates who can also serve as coaches during one of our three athletic seasons or support other co-curricular activities.
Candidates should have a passion for supporting students to reach their full potential as students and citizens, a demonstrated desire for professional growth and a willingness to participate fully in the life of the school. Fredericksburg Academy provides students with the opportunity to discover who they are in a nurturing, safe environment while becoming independent learners within our challenging college-prep curriculum. Fredericksburg Academy is a bring-your-own-device school—a high level of technological proficiency and demonstrated use of technology within the learning environment is preferred.
● Use appropriate and varied teaching techniques
● Prepares and conducts regular assessments
● Assigns lessons, corrects written work in a timely manner, and evaluates oral presentations
● Prepare course objectives and follow the school’s curriculum
● Demonstrate a passion for working with Middle School students and an understanding of their unique development at each of these levels
● Display enthusiasm for teaching and professional growth
● Serve as a member of the English department; attend meetings and support the work of the department
● Serve as a 7th grade advisor, working to forge strong student-teacher relationships and serving as a liaison between advisee parents and the school
● Foster positive communication among parents, advisors, colleagues, and students
● Demonstrate a willingness to collaborate within and across departments
● Support the school and its mission
● Use strong, timely, and effective communication (both written and oral) with students/parents/colleagues/administrators
● Bachelor’s degree in English, education, or similar field
● 1-3 years’ experience working in school setting
● Ability to collaborate with faculty, staff, administration, and parents
● Proficient in organizing work, maintaining records, managing time, attention to detail, follow through, and setting priorities
● A positive and welcoming attitude, flexibility, and a sense of humor
Position Type: Faculty/Staff
Contract: Full-time, 10 month teacher contract
Benefits: 75% coverage of robust health plan for individuals (multi-person plan coverage provided by the school at different levels). Dental, vision, and other insurance options available. TIAA retirement contribution, tuition remission, before and after school child care, and 125 Plan are also available.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of 3-5 references to:
David Fischer, Head of Middle School
10800 Academy Drive
Fredericksburg, VA 22408
About Fredericksburg Academy
Fredericksburg Academy Mission & Overview:
Mission: We inspire and empower our students to discover, to engage, and to imagine the limitless nature of themselves and the world.
Overview: Fredericksburg Academy (FA), located halfway between Richmond, VA and Washington, D.C., provides a rigorous, college-preparatory education in a nurturing environment to 410 students in prekindergarten through twelfth grade. Hallmarks of the Academy experience are individualized attention, unique opportunities outside of the classroom, and small class sizes. Founded in 1992, the Academy challenges each student to achieve academic excellence, to think critically and independently, to communicate effectively, and to act honorably. Our close-knit, supportive community of teachers, administrators, students and parents is welcoming and engaging.